Today has been one of those days. Some things I hope I won't forget, others I hope my (and the childrens) memory will be washed clean away, soon. (Like telling Si while making him eat squash, as he's making gaging noises and crying, "You puke it up, you eat it up." Not my best moment)
Peter is out of town.
Need I say more? I've done a million hours of mothering alone, but not here. Not when I can't hop in the car for a little drive, some music, and an afternoon with loved ones.
It was also our Sabbath today. We meet at 9:30, usually for an hour and a half. This is in the works of changing soon, but for now, we have only two meetings, and they are short. And today, they were REALLY short. Most of the Branch was gone. My family, and five other adults.
A few weeks ago, while our regular pianist was on vacation, I offered to "hop in" so we would have some piano. Now, I'm a really lousy pianist. Oh yeah, I took several years of lessons, but a few things: First, I never practiced. Ever. Second, I played once for my seminary class, and I have NEVER played for a singing audience again. It was terrible. And third, imagine a bad pianist, that is really rusty. I know. What was I thinking, saying I could try to help out? Well, I did. More on the idea of, 'now or never.' I've decided it's the only way I will ever learn. We have a piano here at home, and I am practicing more. But I need hymn numbers in advance, people. Seriously. So the first sacrament meeting I winged it, and it was bad. But I did it. Three songs. There were a lot klunkers, and blank notes, but I did it.
Well, today, again, we were without music. I said, "I can at least play the right hand." So again, it went the same. (really, I think I could do a decent job if they gave me some notice) So I did the opening song, at the end of the third verse, there are four, the music leader turned to me and said, "We need to be done, now." Okay. Sol was crying and the baby was starting in for a scream. I hurry back to my bright red, 1970's, plastic chair, only to find that what the director was trying to tell me is that she had just seen Chach eat a tylenol. And an advil. And perhaps two of each. No one was sure. Nice.
My big boys didn't even know I had left the row and was up playing the piano. (please note, the room is the eating area of a kitchen, in an old house here on camp, we're not talking a big room or anything) Apparently they're really used to super bad piano playing. "Ah, home sweet home." Anyway, once Ruby allerted them, Sam wiped Sol's mouth out with tissue and I was on my way back to my seat. (I had a couple of pills in a baggy left from a trip to town a few weeks ago. I NEVER use my purse, or I would have taken them out, but someone loaned us a car for church today, so I brought it just in case. Side story coming up...) Anyway, I knew there were only a few pills in the bag, so I just kept an eye on him. No worries. He was his regular crazy self all day. Whew. Tonight as I snuggled on his bed with him, he had a lot to say to me, in jubberish. Having a passy at almost three makes you talk like that. A lot. But the words I understood perfectly clear were these, said inbetween a lot of jibber. "blah blah blah, football - hike!, blah blah blah, soccer...basketball - hoop! (hand tossing the ball action here)...bowling...air hockey." Yep. He's feelin fine, folks!
Since church only lasted a whopping 30 minutes, we headed home at ten. And I promptly said, "Don't change out of your clothes. We're having primary at home today." And we did. They each did a job; prayer, leading, prelude music (Sam), scripture, and talk. I then gave the lesson for this week from the Sharing Time handbook, we had a great discussion on missionary work, did some role playing, and closed with a song and a prayer. It was actually lovely. I'm always amazed at how much children know, what they have retained from previous lessons. And Roo made it even more perfect, just like a real primary, by raising her hand: "Yes, Ruby?" She says, "We're American and we ROCK!" "Yes, thank you Ruby. That's true, but that doesn't have anything to do with the lesson." Ah. Just like primary in the states.
We had Sacrament meeting in our home a few weeks ago. I'll post more on that later. I have some pics, but they are on the camera. Which happens to be on a "desert safari" right now. (please read in a very snotty, ticked off voice) "Friday night join us for our desert safari! We'll ride ATV's out to bedouin (sp?) tents, have Arabian tea, dine with locals, there will be dancing, camel rides, henna painting, and much more!", says Peter's itinerary. Hu-rumph! Yes, Peter got to go to Dubai for work. And I got to stay home for four days, with five kids, in a very scary country, no car, housebound due to heat, and church got out early! Just kidding. I am jealous, but it's actually been really nice. We've played a lot of UNO, Si has drawn the art work of the inside of every Egyptian pyramid, (pics to come on that too), watched Joseph 85 times (hence the Egypt theme), went to the beach, rode bikes, and just hung out together. It's been fun.
Here's my car, 'side story'. I know a Pakistani woman who drives on camp. Someone ran into her car the other day, his fault. Security is called, while they wait, the offending driver claims all responsibility. Security gets there, they will not speak to her. (She's a woman, and middle eastern at that.) The offender now says, it wasn't his fault at all. Pu-lese you should see the damage, it's so his fault. They finally ask her, "Do you have a lisence?" (remember, women aren't allowed to drive here, but on camp they can) She says, "Do you give liscences to women?" They say, "Uh. No." "Then what do you think?!" I was proud of her for getting in their faces. Then they say, all mad, "Where is your husband?!" "At work!" This goes on for a while. Where?! At work!... They make her wait outside, in the over 100 degree weather, two little kids, until her husband gets home. Phew! Now they can deal with him. Because gosh, heaven forbid they deal with a woman. I have a lot more sarcastic remarks that I'll keep to myself. I'm just sayin'. In case you have forgotten about our Sister Sufferegette's, start thanking them. You can't imagine the opression of women here. It makes me so sad. Maybe part of it also, is that they would NEVER talk to a Westerner like that either. It's strange. And sad. So, on this Sabbath, I remind you - Count your many blessings!
3 comments:
Did you think the music director was telling you she couldn't take your playing anymore? That's what I thought right up until you revealed the real reason!
Captcha today: aroaf
Wow, you are a saint! You are a pioneer, you are...miss ya. Can't believe all the new scary, exciting things you are doing and just day to day life where you are. Your truck will never look so good come summer! Love ya!
I think fear would be the only thing keeping me from getting sooo angry at the man driver of the car, at the "police". It certainly wouldn't be politeness, propriety, manners, anything else. I've thought alot about how I would handle the injustice towards women that you see. It does make me super thankful to be an American.
Post a Comment