Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Around the Town

I thought you'd like to see a little of what it looks like around here. Well not here, things here are MUCH more beat up and cruddy looking. Now, don't laugh, but here are some shots of the nice areas. These were taken in the largest city in the Eastern province, an hour from here. This is really how it looks. Big buildings, then dumpy lots. Everywhere. (notice I didn't say nice buildings, just fairly large) We enjoyed laughing at the workers hard hats just thrown to the ground in the lot. No one was there, so they weren't coming back any time soon. And check out the giant hole in the sidewalk. Sweet, huh? This isn't like a "construction zone." It just IS. And it seems like this place is always under construction, but it's as modern as the 1950's in the U.S. (Maybe you could borrow a hard hat to walk on the sidewalk, with that giant hole, you're gonna need it)




Here we are inside Chile's. Looks the same, kind of. There was a TV on in the corner. I laughed that it didn't have sports on, it had cartoons. They LOVE Tom and Jerry. Really. And that was on. Even at the toy store you see a difference, here are the toys I saw: Stuffed animals of Tom and Jerry, the Road Runner and Whiley Coyote, Popeye, and Madagascar . Funny, huh?

When we hire a car, we have to get the Suburban, which actually is nice. They are big and safe, and usually quite nice and new. Car seat comes with it. Our driver napped at every stop. I felt safe...not really. Gid hasn't ridden in a car seat for more than a couple of minutes, in more than two months. So he HATES being in it now. Screams! I think I better start practicing car behavior for Europe.

Just for your viewing pleasure. That's KFC, Krispy Kreme, and Carl's Junior. (although, I think they go under the Hardee's name here)



And I couldn't forget McDonalds. How 'bout the Firestone sign. See what I mean? It seems strange that for the most part, these countries REALLY don't like us. But they sure like our things.


*Side note of life around here: If you look beyond our table in the Chilie's photo, you may be able to make out a privacy screen. It's hard to see, but they have these available at some places. While we were there a local man came in with about six women. I think they were wives and daughters. The women were totally veiled. Well, eyes showing, but thats all. After they were seated, the waiter, wearing a t-shirt and jeans, put up privacy screens all the way around the table. These women have to eat somehow, so to do so, they make a private room so they can lift their veils to eat. Veiled women usually drink with straws, as it is easier for them to lift the veil to drink. And they seem to eat everything with a knife and fork, so they don't get food on any fabric. I don't think these particular women took their veils off to eat, but I guess they could have. I think it just made it so they didn't have to be so careful. There were other guests in hijabs and veils, as well. I saw a group of about ten ladies, out to lunch together. Just like in America, a lunch date. All with really nice hand bags and fancy shoes, all dressed in black abayas. I mentioned the waiter in jeans and a t-shirt because I have such a hard time comprehending two worlds, in one place. It's so strange that men can wear whatever they want, and very modern styles at that, yet these women are wearing what has been worn for hundreds of years. I feel like saying, "Didn't you hear? The wall came down. The war's over. Women can vote. And drive. And wear what they want. Even outside if their house!" Maybe in time...

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I didn't see the privacy screen, but I did see you, carefully not being in the picture! I totally feel ya, sister.

Thanks for the pics. How funny that they HATE us but copy our entire culture - except the part where women aren't dogs. Weird.

Stacey said...

Wow, privacy screen, that's interesting, that would be a weird place, two worlds...loved the scenery, but at least there's a Chili's. I LOVE me some Chili's, hope it tasted okay! Or did you have Dog tacos? :)

Julie said...

Wow!It is so fun to read your blog no matter where you live but it is going to be really entertaining the next few years! You always make me laugh!