Monday, October 18, 2010

Bike Crashes and Henna, they don't mix

This is one side of my leg. Recognize it?

Yep. You got it. Bicycle chain tatoo.

Bike crash.

I had my first bike crash today. It was sad. Wanna hear what happened? First let me tell you that I hopped right up and got on. After Peter straightened my handle bars for me, that is.

Peter and I were planning a date for tonight. First time without any kids in over two months. Woohoo! So I decided to do my hair. I mean, I even used hair spray. I know, I'm cuuuh-raaaazy! I straightened my hair, put on real make up and even wore earrings. (I saw two friends while 'done up' and both didn't recognize me. That'll tell you...) Anyway, Peter and I had Parent Teacher Conferences first, then a few hours later, out on a date.

So we hop on our bikes, side by side, and giggle. Off the the school, it is. A date; almost! Fun. About three houses down the street Peter see's our gardener and looks left to talk to him while riding, which means he looks left and turns right. RIGHT into me!

Off I flew! I landed hands first and just got my legs caught a little. I've got some sweet bruises on my thigh and knee, and my palms hurt. It was awesome. I promptly interpreted what of Bangladeshi gardener was saying on his cell phone: "I just saw a fat American, in full make up and staright hair, totally bite it. It was hilarious!"



So that is the inside of my ankle, and here is the outside:




I went to a really fun bazaar this past weekend. And henna for $2.50, who can pass that up? Isn't it lovely? I've been wanting it on my feet, but I was wearing my keen sandals, and it wouldn't work. So my leg, it was. Don't worry, I begged the woman to teach me. I got her number and she said she'd be happy to. So next summer; look out. I will be henna-ing you all!

*Side note of life here: A mother and daughter were doing the henna. They were both Indian, the daughter couldn't have been more than 19 or 20. The mother was wearing basic traditional Indian clothes, obviously not Muslim. The daughter spoke American English, perfectly. I was amazed. I asked why her English was so fantastic, she told me she grew up here on camp, where the kids have to speak English at school. Why do I tell you this story? Because this young girl was totally dressed in an Abaya and Hijab. (head covering) Which tells me her husband is Muslim, she must have converted, and her husband insists she wears this; even on camp. Just food for thought. Be thankful you are who you are, and live where you live.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

The henna looks awesome! I can't wait for mine! The bike tattoo not so much - I already have six or so of those!

Stacey said...

I love the henna, can't wait for summer! I'm coming to see you! Liz is coming home forever so I will probably be around for awhile! Did I tell you she's prego? Oh this isn't an email, but a comment, sorry! Sorry about your crash too! Although at least you had great hair. I LOVE your hair straight!