Tuesday, January 25, 2011

s-h-o-p-p-i-n-g, we're shopping...

Sorry about the big delay in posts recently. Technical difficulties. You know. Hopefully, we're back on track. I thought today I'd share some recent shopping experiences with you. They're fun. So here goes:

HONEY. Now. I don't care for honey. Okay, I don't like it. If I want something sweet. Give me the real stuff. White. No good. Granulated, bad for you - sugar!

That is until, I met you, oh Honey of Yemen. Mmmmm. I LOVE you. I would drink you. Oh wait. I have! Haha. You are the greatest honey on earth. Mmmmm. And to think I found you on the side of the road. Sold to me by a bunch of scary looking arab men. Ah. But who cares, Honey of Yemen - when I have you. Mmmmm.




It's true. People just park their junky old trucks along the sides of the highways here, and sell whatever they want. Often it is fruits and veggies. But now and then, you find the honey guys. Our driver pulls over and scruffy looking guys all run over to the van. They bring with them buckets of honey. Different cans from different regions. But Yemen is my fav. It is SO good. It doesn't have that weird aftertaste that honey in the U.S. has. We ALL love it. The kids prefer it to any jam or jelly, and Peter and I can't get enough.

After they let you taste them all with little sample spoons (which they then throw all over the ground - argh! this country...), our driver with then barter with them for us. I love it. He wont even get out of the car. He rolls down the window, then uses the gas and brake as bartering tools. He drives a bit when they aren't cooperating, then slams the brakes on. Then shakes his hand and yells, "Lalala" (no no no) and pretends to drive on. The guys chase us down the dusty highway shoulder, then they go at it again.

Honey is expensive as it is. It takes a lot of bees to make honey. (I've seen The Bee Movie, you know) This has to be near a gallon, maybe 3/4 of a gallon. The driver got them down to 50 dollars. Which sounds like a lot, but two weeks earlier my friends paid 75 for the exact same bucket. So I was pleased. I've seen it being sold for nearly 40 dollars for quart, so I fell pretty good about it. Anyway. If you were here, you'd love it too. Sorry I can't get it to you. You, too, would now love honey like I do.

On a side note, 'they' think that Lehi and his family left from Yemen. And that they actually took beehives with them on the voyage. Guess what? If it was honey like this, I would totally be taking my beehives with me as well.

The Traveling Souk:

There is a circus in town. If I can actually get thirty seconds to myself, I'll tell you about it. Ever seen a Pakistani Circus? With your husband getting called out of the crowd to participate in the caged ring? Yeah. It was crazy.

Well, the circus has a traveling market with it. A souk. And I have been. A lot. So here are a couple of things I saw/bought. Remember that picture taking is nearly forbidden in this country, so there aren't nearly enough pictures.


Nuts. Seeds. Spices.


There are some women here who were making these baskets. Pictures of what I bought to follow. The women were sitting to the left of here, all totally veiled, making these baskets. They had to be on the other side of the Souk. Away from the main area, as they aren't allowed to really be part of things. Women. They can't interact with men, for the most part. Even though they were all covered, they wouldn't let me take their pictures. Dang it. You can see one lady's leg above.


This is a bread basket. For their traditional arabic bread. Remember I showed you the big round bread they eat? People will take these to the bread shops and take their fresh, hot bread home in these.


This is bag/picnic basket type basket. Cute. Mostly just for looks. But I liked it.


This is about two feet tall, by 18 inches round. I think I bought these more than anything, because people don't really make things here. This isn't a country with a lot of resources. Well. Other than oil. But I really admired these women making and selling their wares. Most women aren't allowed to work here. So to watch them making these, and then selling them for their own increase, made me happy to buy. I think I paid about 35 dollars total, for all of them.


Okay. This is funny and needs explaining. In other gulf countries, the "look" right now is to wear your head scarf loosely over your hair. And the bigger hair, the better. So you see them with these reeeeeeally tall heads. Like they have giant mounds of hair up there. But guess what? They don't. They have these big fake clips. I only know this because I was in the airport bathroom somewhere and saw a lady uncovered and she had a giant pink one of these things on. Nice, huh? I bought a pink one for Roo. They are just too funny. Paid 2.50 for it.


Ah, Fulla. You may not know Fulla yet. She is their arabian Barbie doll. But they have Fulla wares of other kinds, as well. Like watches. I will be getting a Fulla, when I find the right one. She wears an abaya, and it cracks me up. But I have seen one where she has henna as well, and I want that one. Anyway, here is my Fulla watch. Nice.


I totally dig the sunglasses. And how 'bout the photo of the doll on the watch face. Classy. I know. But, I do have to say - I love that they have this doll available. I'd love to know who came up with it. Every girl needs a doll they can relate to. And our version of Barbie isn't it. Sheesh. I can't even relate to our Barbie. So I hope Fulla fills their needs, she makes me smile. Maybe we can make a Barbie, post-children. Paid 2.50.


And last, but not least, I just couldn't pass this up. I know it may be a little inappropriate, but it made me laugh so hard. Just look at the front of the box. The crown is a peek-a-boo window, doubling as a garter. Nice touch. "Anti-bacterial and unpleasant odor refreshing sensitive area" Giggle. Giggle. I have been back to this stand four times, trying to buy more. Giggle. Giggle. The poor man running it thinks my friends and I are nuts. But, especially here, we can't help but crack up.



The instructions are a crack up too. "Sensitive area". Funny.

I also saw "Whitening soap" for, "under your arms and between your legs". Not sure about that one. But again, giggle. giggle. It made me laugh. At least no one called me fat at the souk. Well. Not to my face, anyway.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Ha ha ha ha! I love the soap. Definitely the best find yet~!

maile said...

Okay...love the soap! Sensitive area...hee hee.

Tiffany said...

I forbid you to bring the watch or the hair thing to Paris. But please bring me some soap for my sensitive parts!

Susan said...

hahaha that soap is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I gotta get me some of that virginity soap! Can you buy me enough to last until Kate is 25? That's a LOT of boxes, but you know it's important to keep that "sensitive area" clean.

Stacey said...

That soap is awesome! And totally funny, I mean really who doesn't need to wash their sensitive area! Good luck with three too...may it be a little less than two!