Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Crappy Croup


I thought I had made it. Really. Four kids and not one, ever getting the croup. “Ha!” says croup, “I laugh in your face!” (said in your best Spanish accent) Yep. Chubbles has the croup. Poor chubblie wubblie. So cute, and so sick, to boot.

Thanks to a good friend’s advice, I took him to the doctor, and he did in fact have the croup. I, after four kids, and being a professional/amateur doctor, am usually quite hesitant to take my kids in. “He’ll be fine. No one else has ever had it.” Silly me.

Simon had a croupy bark a week ago, but five year olds don’t get the croup – right? Wrong. I found this out yesterday, the doctor told me I should have taken him in as well. Oops. Oh well. Had I known this, I would have made sure Si wasn’t coughing in everyone’s faces. Again, oops.

Never fear, though. Chubbles in on the mend. A steroid shot, an epinephrine nebulizer treatment and five days of oral steroids – and he should be good as new. Sheesh! Super glad I’m not a pioneer. A cough like that in the middle of the night, for them, could very possibly lead to death. ( Or like when MinnieMae had that horrible cough in Anne of Green Gables and even though Diana and Anne where forbidden to see each other, Anne trudged through the snow to save MinnieMae, and Mrs. Berry forgave all. Remember? Oh, Anne. You’re the greatest.) Thank heavens for modern medicine.

For now, we think the raspy, heavy breathing and babbling are kind of cute. And boy, it sure is muffling the loudest crier on the planets voice. (Honestly, I don’t think I have ever heard a louder cry. Cry is code for “screaming your guts out” at our house.) That, I will say, is a bonus.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh, you're a good blogger. Yes, even my 7 year old gets the croup! I'm sorry that you let Si cough all over him regardless, what kind of a mom are you? Glad you got mr chubbles to the doctor and he's on the mend. Oh and the cop story, hilarious, I would have gone to the bank with you.

Julie said...

My kids get croup all the time! Sabree just had the croup a week ago too! Hang in there! It sounds worse than it really is.