I am writing this more for than myself than for anyone. I need it these days. But I hope it can help you too, in some small way. It is taken from an email I wrote to a loved one. It is from notes I have taken over the last couple of years, that have impacted me for life. I think I felt a need to post this because I don't want to forget. To forget that hard times come, and that I am loved. And so are you.
I know that no one wants to be like Job. No one. I know I don’t . He had it all. Everything. All the riches of the world, respect from men and rulers, and it is said that he was “complete.” Meaning he “holdeth fast to his testimony.” He was righteous, charitable, loving and loved the Lord. Yet, the Lord tried him. Tried him more than one can imagine.
In all of this, he stayed strong and true. Everything, including his family, was taken from him. ALL turned against him. It says his breath was foul and his skin stunk. He was repulsed by all. But…in all of this he says, in Job 23, (vs.3) “Oh, that I knew where I might find him!..” (still turning to God, even after these horrible things) And later, in vs. 10 Job says, “But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” Gold. The most precious of matter on the earth. Each of us will come forth as Gold. Because the Lord knows “the way that you ‘take.’ He knows what is happening, he knows our trials and the woes of our hearts. And he knows, that we will be true, and come forth as gold.
Gold, though, is not easy to come by. It has to be ripped from the earth; drilled and blasted. It has to be sifted, and melted at intensely high heat. Then, after all of this, it has to go through more to be made into something beautiful. Smashed, pounded, and heated more, before it is of use.
If we are to become this ‘gold’ Job speaks of, it will not be easy. It will hurt. It will take all that we have. It will be as though we are being ripped, drilled and blasted to the center of our beings. Remember, though, no trial is wasted. Not one. Each one gives us more strength, hope and insight. Patience, faith, gratitude and humility. These trials make us more worthy to be called, Children of God. Through these horrible times, the Lord is giving us the education we came to earth to get.
Through the blessing of the Atonement, we are promised that we will get everything back. What an awesome promise. That every last tear we shed, will be returned. That every ounce of heart ache, will be like it never happened. We get to take the knowledge and experience, but leave the pain. Remember, that all that Job had was taken. But remember also, that is was returned two fold. Twice as much as he had before, when he had it all? Think of his blessings. He remained true, and withstood the trials. And so will you.
Elder Holland spoke to us once in the adult session of our Stake Conf. His message changed my life. He spoke of “the long nights in our lives.” He said that we will all have those times, some longer than others. Sometimes, it will seem like we’re waiting by the window at three a.m., waiting for the sun to come up, for a very long time. Sometimes that “night” is days. Sometimes its months or years. But, in the end, as promised by the Lord; the sun always comes up. He told us that “we agreed to come to this earth. So see it through.” He asked us why we think that we shouldn’t have to feel just a tiny piece of what the Savior felt? That if we really want to know Him, we will have to know some of His pain. “We’re going to have to walk where He walked, if we are going to say we are Children of God. How grateful can you be if you’ve never felt a little of the Atonement?”
“Make your offering. Keep the faith. Pay the price and you’ll get your broken heart back.”
He talked about, that in these tough times, “just hang on.” He quoted Virga (?) “Endure, and save yourself for days ahead.” Elder Holland said, “When you say you can’t go on – you do. You are stronger than you thought.”
He said, “When you want to cut and run, these are the times you must remain most faithful. You need the gospel more than ever. When there is a storm in your life, you need a Master Helmsman more than ever. When it’s the darkest – you thank heaven you have a boat – and you stay in it.”
The last thing I wanted to write to you about, I also heard yesterday in this meeting. The lady spoke about necessary and unnecessary pain. That there is pain that the Lord gives to us. Oh, we don’t like it. Not at all. But we can’t control it. Things happen, and we have to react the best we know how. This is necessary pain.
Then there is unnecessary pain. Things like sin, and our reaction to the Telestial world around us. Pain we bring on ourselves, the kind where no blessings are attached. The kind of pain that we blame others for, in turn, causing more pain to ourselves. Sometimes, instead of dealing with necessary pain (things we can’t control), we heap unnecessary pain onto ourselves.
There comes a point when we have to say, “I can’t do anything about that.” And move forward. We have to separate other peoples actions that are causing us ‘unnecessary pain’ and move on. Realizing that how we handle the necessary is what really counts.
And in the end, we pray. We pray for blessings to pour upon us. For miracles to happen. For our prayers to be answered the way we want. The way we think is best. And, we remember, … "but if not.” But if not, be strong. But if not, hang on, and know that the Lord hears you, knows you and loves you.
“..be still, and know that I am God.” (D&C 101:16)
2 comments:
Thanks for the post and the chat! You're a good friend to have around always!
We were in California for Jeff's grandmother's funeral so I didn't get to comment on this post. But I loved it! We read it while we were in California (yes, Jeff reads your blog too!) and it just felt timely and well thought and just wonderful to read. Thank you. As always, I love you.
Post a Comment