
Did you ever have a favorite job? Mine was at a sandwich shop called Georgio’s Subs. Now, I know you’re all thinking that this is due to my 'chubba-rella-ness', but it’s not. Okay, so they were good and the frozen yogurt even better – but it wasn’t just the food. I loved it because it was fun. It was a total no-brainer job. Just chit chat with the customers, and make yummy sandwiches for them. And, that, I did.
"Hi, what can I get for you?
White or wheat?
Foot long or six inch?
Swiss, American, provolone or cheddar?
Lettuce, tomato, onion?
Any other veggies?
Mustard, mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, salt or pepper?"
Ahh. I can still smell my stinky self now. This was defiantly a job where I came home smelling like “work”, aka - subs. Truly, every boys dream, a girl that smelled like Georgio’s Subs. (Well I did date a few different guys while working there. Including the one I married!)
"Hi, what can I get for you?
White or wheat?
Foot long or six inch?
Swiss, American, provolone or cheddar?
Lettuce, tomato, onion?
Any other veggies?
Mustard, mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, salt or pepper?"
Ahh. I can still smell my stinky self now. This was defiantly a job where I came home smelling like “work”, aka - subs. Truly, every boys dream, a girl that smelled like Georgio’s Subs. (Well I did date a few different guys while working there. Including the one I married!)

My favorite was when a foreigner would come in and ask, in their thick accent, for a six inch “wedgie”. (Yes, I’m still this juvenile.) They meant a six inch veggie, you sick-o’s! It's the name of a sandwich!
I decided to live at home the second semester of my Sophomore year in college. So, the day after New Years my dad called my a free-loader and told me I had to get a job! (He’s so sweet. Love ya dad!) I had worked in the offices above Georgio’s in Kirkland a few years earlier, had eaten there many times, and happened to be in the area. I saw the sign, interviewed right then, and got the job on the spot. (Who you callin’ a free loader now, Dad?)
It was a place where, when the sun shined, not too often in Seattle, the place was hoppin’. I think that’s what I loved. Just people in for a fun lunch, food for the beach, or a sandwich on the run. My dream job? Own my own Georgio’s.
( I heard they franchised and they aren’t as good. Shameful. Same guy, Bill Richey, still owns it. I'm sure he'd remember me. After all, I was the best employee he ever had - sheesh!)
1 comment:
Hi, I'll have a 6 inch chicken breast with provolone, extra mayo...ooooh,and the cookies!! I used to get the cookies!! Yumm...write about Hoffmans next door...next!!
Post a Comment